Monday, January 25, 2010

Back in the kitchen again!

Wow....I simply cannot believe it's been over a year since I have posted anything...that is absolutely unacceptable on my part!

With that said, my goal is to post at least one recipe per week. My newest search for recipes is scouring breweries which post recipes made with beer and actually making them and then rating them. Mind you, I may "tweek" them a bit if I have the urge, but will certainly mention any revisions done on my part.

So, with that said...I AM BACK...and please, give me absolute crap if I don't follow through on my weekly posts. Following is a recipe I made this past Saturday night found at the great Samuel Adams brewery website...www.samueladams.com


Roast Pork Chops with Bacon and Wilted Greens
Developed by Peter Zoole, Chef of C&L Steakhouse


2 1 1/2 inch thick rib pork chops
3 Tablespoons chipped fresh marjoram, divided (don't let the soapy aroma of this herb scare you away)
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 thick cut bacon slices (I used 8 slices as I like more mixed in with the greens)
2 garlic cloves, pressed (I used 3 )
8 cups (packed) wide strips assorted greens such as mustard greens and red Swiss chard, stems discarded ( used a combo of fresh baby spinach and red Swiss chard)
1/2 cup Samuel Adams Octoberfest (I used one cup)
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard ( I used 2 T of dijon and 2 T of ground mustard)
My own addition - 1 whole onion sliced
Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Sprinkle both sides of pork with 2 Tablespoons marjoram, allspice, and generous amount of salt and pepper. Heat oil in heavy large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add pork and brown well, including edges, turning with tongs about 7 minutes. Transfer pork to small rimmed baking sheet; reserve skillet. Roast pork in oven for about 9 minutes or until done.
Meanwhile, add bacon to oil in reserved skillet. Saute over medium heat until almost brown and then add sliced until and cook until onion is softened and bacon is done. Mix in garlic. Add greens. Cook until just wilted, turning with tongs, about 3 minutes. Add seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove greens leaving some bacon pieces in skillet for sauce. Add the Samuel Adams beer and mustard. Simmer until slightly thickened, about 4 minutes. Mix in one tablespoon marjoram. Season with salt and pepper.
Mound greens on plates; top with pork. Spoon sauce alongside and serve.
Rating based on a 1-5 scale with 5 being the best:
Per my hubby - a pure 5...his comment..."You can make this for me anytime - loved it"

2 comments:

Eli the Mad Man said...

I love to eat. Combine Fran's food with all the damn beer I drink over at Beer Tap TV, and whatcha got is a "few" extra pounds around the ole midsection. OK, several actually.

Whenever she cooks up something, which is often and usually with beer, she knows it's good when I say "menu item." Meaning that one day in the future when we open up a taphouse (not a brewery, I'm not SMRT enuff for that) and grille, anything she's cooked in the past labeled "menu item" gets made there.

This is without question, one of my personal favorite dishes. Five star menu item people! It's got "menu item" aaaaaaall over it!

Eli the Mad Man said...

By the way... glad to have you back bloggin' baby! ;)